Make a joyful noise

Make a joyful noise
Powered By Blogger

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Method 9

One of the best things that happened to internet is chat. Before I continue I would like to say that I am happy to have this clarification about names. I have always wondered the difference between chat IM, SMS. Apparently none, thank you. If there is any of the web 2.0 applications that I would vote for, it is chat. Chat creates a new way to enhance connections between patrons and libraries thus making library resources more accessible. Unlike phone you can almost always tell when someone is online so you can take advantage of their presence. This a great resource for delivering library services to patrons.
As a new librarian in my present job I am yet to try my hands at the chat service that we have. It is a bit scary because I feel you have to be a bit more faster than in person and copying and pasting links would be a bit cumbersome,with practice however it might come a little more easily.
You might always be sure someone is online before you chat but unless people update their status you will find either long absences of response or no response at all. Status update is necessary for chat to be effective and for confidence to be created in the system. What some organizations have done is to have a policy of making sure that during chats there is no long absences by putting time limits on the response. You either respond within the time limit or they cut you off. In this era of multi tasking this is bound to happen.
With all the chat services and Meebo providing a location to have all your chats integrated chat is just an awesome application.

No comments:

Post a Comment